Friday, December 19, 2008

The Early Bird Gets the Bananas!

This morning I went to HEB first thing to get my Christmas grocery shopping over with. I probably arrived by 9:30am. When I went over to the bananas, I found paper grocery bags filled with bananas for $1 each. For the whole bag full of bananas. They were old bananas, but I swear I have paid full price for bananas that looked as slightly speckled as these did. I bought a bag and counted them at home - 40 bananas for $1! I also bought 5 fresh bananas and those cost me 87 cents.

The bags were gone by the time I left, but I just say this as a reminder that if you go to the store in the morning, you might find a few special markdowns. These deals won't last until mid-morning, but it's exciting when you find one!

And what am I doing with 40 bananas? I broke them up into pieces and I'm freezing them to use in banana breads, muffins, and smoothies. Remember, even if you find a markdown on something like broccoli, you can blanch it and freeze it to use later.

No comments: